Friday, April 18, 2008

Stupid Criminals

I really get a kick out of reading those story about stupid criminals, I never cease to be amazed by some peoples complete lack of judgment. For all of you out there who also enjoy a good stupid criminal story here is a post for you...

Kat and I have been fighting bronchitis for the last week. I have had it the worst and the doctor put me on a cough syrup with codeine. The codeine part has been working great but the cough part hasn't done anything, this has resulted in me sleeping all night making all kinds of noise and Kat hasn't been able to wake me up to save her life. One night was particularly bad and Kat decided to go to the couch to try and get some sleep. This worked until about 5:30 when the paper boy decided to throw the paper really hard against the garage. When I got up Kat complained to me about how hard the paper boy threw the paper. I didn't think anything of it until I opened the blinds. I noticed that the paper laying at the end of our driveway opposite the garage; obviously it wasn't the paper boy that Kat heard. So what did she hear? As I scanned our front yard I noticed that our mailbox had been obliterated.

Since we are such good citizens we did our civic duty and called the police. An officer came out, filled out his paperwork and promised to look into it. Kat decided to take the mailbox down so whoever did it wouldn't be able to drive by and get pleasure out of their misdeed. As she was taking it down a dark green car slowed down as it drove by and the two young men inside pointed and laughed. Kat didn't think anything of it because hey, if I saw a mailbox like that I would probably think that it was pretty funny too. Kat finished taking down the mailbox and left a note to the mailman apologizing for not having a box because some jerk blew it up. Later that day a dark green car drove by, really slowly. The car then backed into our driveway a girl got out, took a picture of the sign, and then got back into the car and the car drove away.

There are a few stupid parts to this whole episode. Their first mistake is in visiting the scene of the crime, twice. The first time that they came by Kat was in the front yard, of course you are going to get noticed. The second time my sister-in-law was in the garage, with the overhead door open. We are also still trying to figure out why you would take a picture of the sign. Unless you knew something about what happened who would pay attention to a 3x5 card on a post in someones yard, and who would care enough to take a picture? If you really feel a need to go back and visit the scene of your crime, don't act suspiciously. Another stupid mistake is that they are BYU students. Since this is finals week if they get caught they are bound to miss some of their finals. If charges are pressed then they will probably be kicked out of BYU. Even if charges aren't pressed they are bound to miss a few of their finals and therefore be on academic probation next year. Oh well, I guess some lessons you have to learn the hard way.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Wait, so did you guys get the license plate number of the car?

Kathlen said...

Yes we did! So if it was you, your in a bit of trouble! :)