Sunday, June 22, 2008

A little of Michigan

Ok, at the request of McKenna.....a little about Michigan. The humidity has been pretty low since I have been here(which for a westerner like me is nice). Mom Wierschke is keeping me busy, our first weekend here we got up at 6:30am and went to pick strawberries. I love strawberries and at 70 cents a pound, who couldn't resist right? We were so excited that we picked 100 pounds, we just finished our last batch of strawberry jam yesterday, YEA!!

We also went do to a little town in Indiana called Shipshewana, to visit the Amish and cash in on there cheap food. We are planning another excursion to see more "Amish" sites, at a later date(I will post pictures)

We have had a few storms, nothing to exciting. For those who do not know, storms in the midwest are a million times better, then the storms out west(as I am sure you are hearing all about on the news). For example today was a beautiful day, as I walk out of relief society, I look out the window and not only is it raining but hailing and blowing. Once again nothing spectacular, but it was a great little storm. I am waiting for a really big storm, those my friends are always super fun. When the lightening hits, it lights up the whole yard(we have a big yard). Sadly we missed the biggest storm, that came though right before we arrived in Michigan, it was so strong that it knocked down four trees in mom and dads yard, so this week we get to clear all of the trees out of the yard. I am also looking forward to the fireflys, right after we got married, we moved in with Jon's parents and at night we would catch fireflys. I want Brett to catch fireflys, I think that he would like them a lot.

We have several trips planned this summer, the first trip this this weekend we are heading up to Ann Arbor to find housing(wish us luck) and the second is on the 4th of July we are heading up to Minnesota to see dads family( I am super excited).

For those of you who live in a big ward, please be grateful and take every advantage of it. Our ward is huge boundary wise, but very small in numbers. Last week I had mom list off all of her callings and she has a grand total of 10 callings( with one on the way). So the next time you think that you are burned out or overwhelmed, you can think of Sister Wierschke. On our first Sunday here, Jon was asked to say the opening prayer in sacrament meeting and was then given a speaking assignment (that always happens, they get way too excited about new people).

So that is all of our fun for now, I hope to have lots of cool stories and pictures coming :)!

2 comments:

Abbie said...

I would like to see some pictures. :)

mckenna said...

I'm a little late but just getting around to reading that post. YAY! Fun in Michigan! It sounds beautiful! Not that you described what it looked like, but the storms and firefly's and strawberry picking are all so nostalgic to me. I love places like that. Goo luck with the house hunting!!