Saturday, February 9, 2008

Baby Shower Success!!


So today was the Baby Shower for a good friend of mine, Abbie Rufener. Everyone said that they enjoyed it, I sure hope they did, those baby showers are a lot of work. By a quick count I would guess that we had between 18-22 people there. Baby showers are so nice for the new mom, it helps you get prepared and excited for the Baby. We chatted, ate food and played games. I made Abbie a diaper cake and that was fun, everyone liked it and a lot of people took pictures of it. I just needed to get rid of 90+ diapers, and Mom Wierschke suggested the cake. I thought that it was a brilliant idea. I am including a picture of it for your enjoyment. If you want to know more about it here is Abbie's blog page on the shower.

Here is the picture of the diaper cake. It was made of: 90+ diapers, 6 Bibs, 3 Bottles, 3 Snack cups, 2 Pacifiers, 3 pair of Warm socks, 1 Silky blanket, 1 can of Formula, 4 yards of 1 1/2" Pink Ribbon, A bow, Curling Ribbon, 2 1/2 yards of String, tons of rubber bands, Lots and lots of Cardboard, tape and hot glue. I am grateful that Jon is an Engineer, it would of taken me a million years to get it together. It took Jon 5 minutes to think up our construction plan. Then I just tweaked it (and re-tweaked it, and re-tweaked it) for 3 weeks. In the end I am very proud of it. I can see why people sell those things for lots of money.

I think it is interesting how clueless I was until I had Brett. There are so many things that you just don't think about until you reach that point. Not to mention that everybody(when I say everybody I mean it) has their own opinion about how to raise your kid. I am so protective of Little Brett that only two people have ever watched him besides close family and that is Abbie and Scott Rufener. That was a very big step( no offense to Abbie of Scott) I had a really hard time leaving him with them. They are going to be amazing parents, I have no doubt that they will be experts shortly. Anyway during the shower I reflected on what I was like before I had Boo, I had no idea what I was getting myself into, if I knew then what I know now would I have had my son? I bet I would have, being a mom is the best thing in the whole world. I have learned a lot from Brett and I keep learning every day. I love that little guy! This picture is of Bridget(left), Abbie(middle), and ME!

So all in all it was a great day, now I can get out of Baby shower mode and get into wedding mode. Personally I am way more scared about wedding mode then I was about baby shower mode. Hopefully I will be able to go with the flow and get pictures that the Bride and Groom like. I am so nervous. I am just waiting for a Digital SLR to fall out of the sky, I know that this might sound stupid but I would feel a whole lot better if I had an SLR over what I have. Don't get me wrong I am grateful for what I have, but for wedding pictures a digital SLR is almost a must. I have had an offer to borrow an SLR but I am very hesitant, if I brake it I don't have the money to replace it (I have already been down that road, care not to repeat that experience). When Abbie sent me these pictures(taken with her SLR) I just about died, the pictures are amazing. Now I really want one! I hope I can pull this off, with the Lord anything is possible. So if you have an SLR that you want to get rid of, mail it. If not please PRAY!!

It is Brett time, he needs his mommy right now!

3 comments:

Abbie said...

You are so cute!! I loved your post. You did an amazing job... such a wonderful host. And I read what you said about leaving Brett with us... I was touched. I know that was a big step for you and I'm glad you felt comfortable (somewhat) enough to leave him with us. Let me tell ya, babies and Scott... they go together great. He just loves them! I saw a used Nikon D40 on a professional camera site that was 390... I am sure that's still out of the price range, but you never know. We love ours... it was a wedding present though so we didn't have much guilt.

Lynette said...

That's an impressive cake!! haha. Well, Tag you're it!...if you haven't done it already. :) Check out my blog for details!

Kathlen said...

Thanks Lynette! I actually already read your blog this morning, and was thinking about it. I have to combined two tags so this should be intresting