Tuesday, February 19, 2008

All Is Well With TYLENOL!

For the last week Brett has been extremely cranky and has not slept in 5 nights. I was so frustrated. I could not, for the life of me, figure out what was going on. At night I would check his diaper and feed him and he would still be up all night screaming. I just about lost it. On Sunday, at church, it hit me that he might be teething. I checked his gums and sure enough there was a little bump. I was a bit relieved to now know what it was that was causing him to not sleep at night. I quickly started him on the dosage of Tylenol that I had been told was quite effective for my little one (.4 ml). Sunday night he was up twice, which was better the all night, but still not great. On Monday Brett was still really fussy and I was looking for a mental institutions to book myself into.

Today I took Brett the the Doctor to get his weight checked. Unfortunately I didn't get our regular nurse. On our way out I ran into our nurse and we chatted about Brett and what was going on in our lives. Dr. Jensen spotted us in the hallway and came over and started talking to us. He was excited about Brett's progress and asked how Brett's gastroenterologist appointment went. I told him that I was a little upset that I had waited three months to get in and all he had to say was that Brett was getting over it. I also told him that if I didn't believe in flipping people off that I would have flipped the guy off, he just laughed at me. I then told him that I thought Brett was teething and asked if we were only able to still give .4ml of Tylenol. He asked how much Brett weighted and as of today he weighs 18lbs 11oz (WooHoo we are in the 26th percentile)!!!!! He looked at me and told me that I could give Brett triple that amount, and then he said,"Your not going to flip me off are you?" I reassured him that I wouldn't and then told him that I had thought about it on many occasions, he just laughed.

I guess it is no wonder Brett had not been very happy with me, he was only getting a third of his recommended does of Tylenol. Dr. Jensen gave me a website so that I could stay informed on the dose of Tylenol when Brett starts weighing more. Hopefully tonight we can get some rest, I know I need it for sure.

3 comments:

Abbie said...

You know, to be honest, I thought about two days ago, "I wonder if Brett is teething". But I'm no mom yet and was like, nah... Glad to hear things are better. :)

David and Wendy Pendergrass said...

Sounds like a rough one. I know what you mean about the mental institution. One night you can handle, but after 5 you just start feeling like you aren't even human. For me I start getting incredibly apathetic. All I can say when Dave asks me a question is "I don't care" and then I start getting mad for no reason.

I am so glad I read this because I think i may have done the same thing. Lucy wasn't sleeping well and I thought she was teething. I just gave her the dose they recommended at her 2 month checkup, but now she is almost 6 months. It didn't work and now I'm thinking I might need to reevaluate.

Kathlen said...

Brett had a rough night last night, but I hope things will be better tonight. Utah Valley pediatrics has a website that has a dosage chart, So I would definitely check that. The address is www.uvpediatrics.com. Abbie listen to those motherly instincts, you know more then you think!