Saturday, January 26, 2008

Gastroenterologist and More.............

Friday we made our way to Murray for Brett's Gastroenterologist appointment. There was no great surprise when he told me that Brett would outgrow his puking, at that point I wanted to kick the doctor. I realize that it is not his fault that he is booked solid for two months at a time, but poor Brett has had some nasty acid reflux and now there is not much they can do but let him outgrow it. The good news is that when they weighed him he had gained 14.5oz. in one week, this is from a kid that struggled to make 5oz. in a month. You can bet that I was ecstatic.

On our way home from the appointment we almost got into a really bad accident on I-15. A guy in a Suburban decided that he wanted to get into the HOV lane before it ended so he did the only thing that seemed logical for him, he zipped across 3 lanes of traffic. In his hurry to get across he didn't pay attention to where other vehicles were and almost clipped our bumper(Jon couldn't see his headlights in the rear-view mirror). With traffic on I-15 doing it's normal 75mph and this idiot doing probably 85+mph we figure that if he would have clipped our bumper it would have sent us spinning into rush hour traffic. He would have turned our car into a pin ball and one of us would be dead right now. So we are very grateful that the Lord was looking out for us on a Friday.

Saturday brought one of my favorite activities and that was the Stake Enrichment! I always love the classes that are taught, and lunch is always wonderful. I love Brett, but is was so nice to have four hours, to myself, to mingle with the sisters from the stake. This was a 'Best of Enrichment' activity and we were able to attend three classes of the many that were offered. I took the opportunity to attend BYU Football 101 (Jon told me that I needed to go). The class was taught by four BYU football players: Bryce Mahuika, Mitch Payne, Jan Jorgensen, and Matt Allen. They gave us a little football quiz and I was surprised that I knew most of the answers. Jon was really pretty proud of me too. I also attended a homemade baby food class( I got some great ideas) and a baby gifts class. I have a whole packet on baby gifts and even things that you can make for your baby for church, I am really excited about that.

As we sat in our living room tonight (Sunday), getting ready for FHE, my mother called to tell us that President Hinckley had just passed away(7:00 pm). Like many I love that man, he has given many talks that have touched my life in more ways then one. I am so grateful for the association that I had with him. I hope that we can all remember what he taught us and that he always wanted us to strive to better ourselves and our families. One of the things that I will always remember was a comment that Sister Hinckley made about President Hinckley "He always used to give me my wings and let me fly." I don't know why that has stuck with me for so many years but it has. I am so grateful for the love that he has shown me, even though I never knew him personally. If I could give one little piece of advice relating to President Hinckley I would say, Listen. Listen to everything he has told us to do and do it! Live the principles that he taught us, I would hate to think that he preached to us in vain. I know that he was a Man of God, and that he was called of our Heavenly Father. I love that man and I am sad to see him go, I will miss him. I am glad that he is with Sister Hinckley.

Be Grateful, Be Smart, Be Involved, Be Clean, Be True, Be Positive, Be Humble, Be Still, Be Prayerful.

No comments: