Friday, June 12, 2009

All The Happenings

Ok, so I want to post all of the happenings without the blood and gore(cause I know half of you care and the other half don't). I am also writing this down before I forget, so there may be a little too much info, but I will try to keep that to a minimum. Real quick before I get started, thanks to Jon for posting the pictures. You more then likely would not have gotten them until now if you had waited on me!! Anyway here we go!!

2am
I woke up to Brett crying, Jon took care of him. Had to go potty, noticed that I was spotting bright red blood(not a good sign, I was a little worried) went back to bed and started having contractions. Contractions were 5-8 minutes apart so I stopped counting.

3am
Woke up to find Jon still in Brett's room, went potty again, more blood. Found my pregnancy book and started to read what it had to say. Called triage at 3:03, waited for nurse to call back. Started counting contractions again for the heck of it, still 5-8 minutes apart. I felt like giving up.

3:45am
Still no call, called triage again, waited on hold for a few minutes. Discussed all of the details with the nurse, we decide to go in. Called a sister in the ward to come watch Brett. Then called mom and dad wierschke to fill them in so that they could pack and leave. Contractions are 4 minutes apart.

4:10am
Waiting in triage to get checked, I am so afraid that they are going to send me home. Part of me doesn't care, I don't mess with bright red blood this late in the pregnancy. Still I don't want to go home.

4:30am
I got checked and I was a 4-5cm the nurse was nice and said 5cm so that I didn't have to go home, we get admitted with the wise advice to "walk, walk, walk" once we get to our room! We get to our room and do just that, but only after they poke me 5 times and hook me up to a million tubes. Oh yeah the bright red blood mysteriously disappears.

5am-8:30am
We walk the halls constantly( it was so nice, they have wireless monitors that they can hook you up to and you can walk the halls all you want) Some of the nurses just laughed at us. I am not sure why but of all the women in labor, we were the only ones walking the halls. contractions are 1-2 minutes apart(it was nice to be on a monitor and not to have to count them on my own). Contractions hurt a little.

8:30am-10am
My feet were so swollen from walking the halls that we took a little nap to re-energize. Dr. checked us, we were still a 5!! I was getting so frustrated! The contractions are really hurting, why am I still a 5, 70% and a -3??

10am-1pm
Still walking halls, Jon and I know every little speck on the floor. We get checked again, no change. We start the pitocin, the nurse says that the magic dose of pitocin for most people is between 6-12 ml, guess we will see.

1pm-5pm
Still walking halls, I really think that one of the nurses thinks that I am crazy. She laughs every time we walk past, if I could only read her thoughts. Get checked again, still no change. Even our nurse is surprised. The pictocin is at 14ml and not working. I start getting really scared that I might have to have a c-section. The nurse is thinking positive thought for me and the med students even came up with a 'birth inducing' dance, not quite sure if that worked or not.

6pm
We are going to break my water and see if she drops. The nurse assures me that our chances are good. I trust her, she is great! But I wanted to get the epidural before they break my water, I know what the contractions will feel like after they break my water, plus anesthesia is super busy and I don't want to wait on them.

7pm
Anesthesia gets to our room and we commence placing the epidural between contractions, this takes FOREVER. Every time I have a contraction they take the needle out. For some reason this was more painful this go round then it was with Brett.

7:30pm
Epidural is finally in place and is just starting to work as the resident is breaking my water(she checked me before she broke my water, still no change), they also place the catheter (that hurt, only cause I was not completely numb yet). We have a change nurses and residents. My nurse informs me that they will not check me again until I "feel like I have to go poo"

8pm
Jon is napping and I am watching A Beautiful Mind. The catheter hurts every time I have a contraction, not quite sure why, but after the 4th contraction I wake Jon up to get the nurse. The nurse arrives just as we are paging her, perfect timing. I tell her what is going on and she pulls the catheter out, that really hurt. I don't think that the epidural is working really well, I can feel EVERYTHING. Just them the resident comes in, she immediately checks me, we are 10cm and not waiting. She barely has time to get a gown on, forget about breaking down the bed. 16 minutes later and 4 pushes was all it took. I could feel everything, we don't think that the epidural had time to kick in, I don't think I will wait as long next time(16 hours with out an epidural is pretty good). We did good!! All I got was 2 stitches, not bad at all, and recovery is going great, we get to go home tomorrow morning!!

Her Stats are: She arrived at 8:16pm and was 7lbs. 1oz., 18 1/2in and tons of black hair(all of the nurses think that she looks like me)!!


So that is kind of the play by play, I am glad that it is over!! Sis, is a sweet little girl and barely cries! Brett has even taken a liking to her too!! I know you are all anxious to find out what we are going to name her, and I just wanted to let you know that she still doesn't have a name and that the hospital is equally anxious(they have stopped by twice today)!! Check back tomorrow for her name, seeing how I can't go home until I have one!! I was going to post pictures and video of sis and her big brother, but they are on grandpas camera and so I will work on that tomorrow after we get home!! Thanks for all of the love and support!!

5 comments:

Clore said...

YEAH!!!!!!!congrats!!! She is beautiful!!!!!

Dani W said...

YAY!!! How exciting... glad to know that actual delivery part went fast ... 4 pushes... sounds like you are a pro now! :) Good luck with the epidural next time. :) Cannot wait to find out what her name is!!! :)

mckenna said...

Sounds like a seriously exciting night!! ;) Pacing halls is never fun. And feels even longer when your anxious for the arrival of a little one. Glad she's here and that everything went well!! Congratulations again!!

Brian, Laura, Felix & Ezra said...

Congrats on that baby! Let me know how I can help--meals, Brett care, etc.
Just give me a call!

Lynette said...

That's awesome! I loved hearing all of the details! You don't get that kind of story very often and I loved that you were willing to share it all!