Monday, January 18, 2010

New Doctor And The Gluten Free Diet

People have been asking why I am on a gluten free diet, so here is the answer. I am on a gluten free diet, because Kate has rashes all over her body. I know that she is allergic to wheat and gluten, so the only way to cut that out of her diet, is for me to stop eating it cause I am nursing her. Plus I am allergic to wheat. I don't think that Kate or I have celiac, it is just something that I am going to try. I want to see if it will help Kate out at all. Really it all just comes down to the fact, that I am really desperate to get her feeling better. A few sister at church said that her face was already looking better, so I guess we will see.

I decided to take Kate to a new Ped. I think that her old Ped. just didn't have the time to look at her, and I couldn't ignore the fact that something is wrong with my baby for another three months. I got some recommendations from some sisters in the ward. I called the first doctor on the list and we were able to get Kate in last Thursday. I spent 6 hours on Wednesday night trying to compile a list of everything that is wrong with Kate, all of the things we have done to try and solve the problems. When I arrived at the appointment, they weighted Kate, I just about died(will explain in a minute). Then I handed my paperwork to the Dr and we talked it over. She looked at the papers that I had compiled and she simply told me that we were not going to be able to solve anything at this appointment. She also told me that she needed to review Kate's records from her old Ped., and that we needed to go see a gastroenterologist as soon as possible. She said that once she had the records from the old Ped. , and the report from the gastroenterologist, then she could try to start piecing together the puzzle. She told me that Kate's symptoms were weird and confusing and that a GI would be able to shed light on the mystery. We have our appointment with the GI scheduled for this Thursday, I am praying for answers.

When they weighted Kate, I just about had a heart attack and I wanted to cry, in fact I still want to cry. Kate has successfully gained a pound or more every month. Last month we added solids for the first time, and Kate has been going crazy, she loves them. Last month when they weighted her,she was 17lbs. This month when they weighted her she was 17lbs 2.2oz! 2.2oz? That's it, that is all she gained in a month. I have tried to justify why she didn't gain any weight, but nothing make sense. The scales are calibrated before they weight her, so that possibility is out. She has been eating like crazy, so I am not starving her. Yes, she is mobile, but not mobile enough to slow down her weight gain. I don't know, I am just sick thinking about it. I just want to know what is wrong with my baby.

1 comment:

becky said...

that is so crazy. I heard of a website that has gluten free ideas. Did I send it to you? If not let me know and I will try and find it again. I bet you are so frustrated. Weight gain is so unpredictable so don't be too worried. At least she gained a little. I hope you find some answers soon. Keep us posted.