I think it is safe to say that every woman has a problem with the mirror in our bathroom/bedroom. We have a constant love/hate relationship. We love it when we look and feel good, but we hate it when we have bad hair days, or when nothing in our closet fits, etc. In the past I have let the mirror define how I feel about myself, but when I had children I realized that my behaviors would eventually transfer to some extent to them. I was determined that I would eliminate words out of my vocabulary like: fat, stupid and ugly, etc. you get the idea.
Even more important I wanted my daughters to have self confidence, to love who she is, and to not second guess who they are. I never want to hear my daughter tell me that she is to fat, or ugly, or that she doesn't feel like she has any value.
So when I would get Kate dressed, I would tell her how pretty she was. Then when Kate's hair got long enough that it had to be done up every day. She would stand in front of the mirror while I did it, when we are done I let her pick out a flower and tell her how pretty she looks.
All of this I found out has some payback. The first thing that I noticed was that she started telling me how pretty she looked, and I would naturally reaffirm to her that she indeed was pretty. And the second thing that she did and at the perfect time I might add, was tell me how pretty I looked. Kate started telling me this when I came down from my room on the first day that I had to start wearing maternity clothes with Emma. Nothing made me feel a ton better about wearing maternity clothes, then Kate exclaiming that day, "Mama, you're so pretty." I could come down in the same shirt that I have worn every day that week and my sweet Kate will tell me how pretty I am. What a blessing Kate is in my life
2 comments:
What a sweet little girl and wise mama! Thanks for the post, and the reminder to get our self-esteem from something less fickle than the image coming at us through a mirror.
That is precious :)
Post a Comment