Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Nuclear in the News

First, just a little note from the Wierschkes...yes we are still alive and yes, this blog is still active. Much of the lack of posts has been my fault. Sometime toward the end of this last semester I surprised Kathlen by taking an internship at a national lab. I did talk to her about it first, but I didn't give her much time between finalizing the internship and having to leave. This has resulted in a busy schedule and much stress, but life is finally quieting down a little bit.

Now on to the post...

Since the events in Fukushima, Japan, nuclear power has been in the news quite a bit. The latest news has revolved around the Fort Calhoun plant in Nebraska that is surrounded by flood waters. In all this coverage I have been quite irritated by how bad the news coverage has been. It has been a lot of misinformation, fear mongering, and outright falsehoods. One of the news broadcasts that irritated me the most came from Japan where they were filming in front of the oil refinery that caught on fire, yet the headline was nuclear disaster; as if somehow an inferno at a refinery had something to do with anything nuclear. I do not have the time to go through and rebut every news article that has been posted, and I am sure that many of you are not interested and haven't been paying attention to the "nuclear news". But if anyone has any questions, something in the news sounds just too scary, or too far fetched, please feel free to ask me any questions and I will do my best to answer them. If I don't know the answer, I know people who will. If you don't want to post your questions in the comments you can email me at jwierschke@yahoo.com.

No comments: