Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I love INDEXING!!


The church has put out a wonderful program called, Family Search Indexing. Which is extraction work on your home computer. You go to the website, sign up. You go through the tutorials, and start indexing.

Why do I love it so much?? Because you can if out so many interesting things about people, and occasionally find family. Indexing brings such a spirit to my home. The best thing is that, all of the names that I index will be made public online to everyone.

If you can see this picture pretty well, it was an index that I did yesterday from the 1920s in Alabama. The highlighted portion is the name "Nila." Which for those of you know don't know is my moms name. I thought my grandma made up the name, but voila here it is in the 1920s. You might think that it is lame, but I think it is cool.

I just finished the Washington State death records for 1880-1950 and that was so much fun. I really enjoyed it, I got to learn about different cities from my home state and I got to learn about some of the names Indexed. Granted it is all about perspective.

I am not in to that whole trace you lines back as far as I can go genealogy yet, but I can do my part to help others find their family, while I am waiting for mom to do all the work so I don't have to :).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name was original as far as
Mom new. She liked the name of the Nile river, she said knew that I was going to be a girl, so she changed the E for an A. My name was not coped from anyone else.

Mom

Kathlen said...

I know, that is why I think that it is cool!! Great minds think alike!!

Lynette said...

That sounds like fun! I've always enjoyed finding stuff like that. So this might be a dumb question, but do you do it for fun or do you get paid to do it? Maybe I don't really understand what indexing is. :)

Kathlen said...

I don't get paid to do it, I just do it for fun. It is exactly like extraction work(Read census records, and writing what I see)except it is on the computer. The website can help you better understand indexing!!

Bradley's Giggleswick Genealogy Blog said...

FamilySearch Indexing is pretty cool... I do my part by indexing Venezuelan records because I can read Spanish. I also have helped with Mexican stuff... but so far, there's more indexers for that project.

Since a lot more people can do things in English than Spanish, and I can do Spanish, I volunteer an hour or two every so often to indexing a few records. Every little bit helps.

Good job! The indexed records with the church make my job as a professional research a little easier...

Kathlen said...

Brad I do it for you:), Just kidding!