
I was in Seminary, when the call came that the towers had been hit. There was a great panic as we tried to finish our lessons. Parents called to tell their children that they were being pulled out of school for the day. Now you might think that they were overreacting a bit, but we lived right next door to a Nuclear plant(Honestly I don't know why anyone would attack our plant, there is nothing else around. Nevertheless the thought crossed a lot of people's minds). I went to school, scared for all of those people in New York. The thought of, "What now?" kept crossing my mind. First period(Contemporary World Problems and Government) came and went, with no lesson taught, we just stared in disbelief at the TV. Second period(Economics) again no lesson, the towers collapsed. The thought came, "Did everyone get out?" We later find out that there was no such luck, we still can't believe what we saw. Lunch came and went, I don't think anyone really felt like eating, we just keep watching on the closest TV.
The rest of the day was like a haze and still is. We later find out that police and firefighter
s died in a resucue attempt. That hit to close to home for me, My dad is a firefighter. They are Heroes, he is my hero.Years later phone conversations, and stories surface about the many brave men and women that tried desperate to save as many lives as possible. That was a defining moment for those people, they chose to save others then themselves (Luke 17:33). Men, Women and Children have lost loved ones. American is angery, we want revenge, we want solace. Hatred and Love are both sought and found.
Where were you on September 11, 2001? What were you doing? What do you remeber? I want to know(I don't care if you read this post a month later)! WE should NEVER forget. United We Stand, Divided We Fall.
7 comments:
Ha! i was just starting my Junior year in college which shows how old I am. It was about 7am and I was at work at the bookstore. Someone came in and said a plane had hit one of the towers. We tried getting on CNN.com but so many people were trying that we couldn't. We went out and watched TV and that's when we saw another plane hit one of the towers and then watched in horro as they crumbled. I will always remember that it was a Tuesday because they canceled the regular devotional and Pres. Bateman spoke to us and surprisingly told us that we had nothing to fear. It was horrific yes, but we should not fear. Interesting inspiration.
I was on my way out the door headed to an FBLA meeting my senior year when my mom casually mentioned a plane hitting a tower. I didn't know what she meant. Then she said, "Oh my gosh! Another one just hit!" I got to my meeting at the high school, realized what was happening and then called my mom. My dad was working there that day. I spent the rest of the day in school with my cell phone on, hugging friends, hoping to get ahold of my dad, calling my mom to see if she had heard from him. When we heard about the pentagon we then panicked for my aunt and uncle and there family. He worked in the white house at the time and we worried that it might be a target. By that evening we knew everyone was safe. My dad had been close by, but not in the towers (a miracle) and had spent the day giving blood and doing anything he could to help. (My personal hero). I think I cried more that week than the rest of my life. The pure evil I felt in what had happened was more than I could really handle. And the gratitude that my father hd narrowly escaped the situation has stayed with me since then.
I was getting ready for work. I had turned on the morning news just in time to see the second plane hit. I called my mom at work, because she had gone in at 5:00 to the temple and I figured she would not have heard yet. I still had to go into work, at a greenhouse, and didn't know what else happened until I got home.
Jon was in Switzerland. He had some interesting experiences, but he says that being in a different country made it not real to him.
A fun fact, I was also waiting for my mission call. It came the next day and the date on it says, "September 11, 2001."
I had just gotten home from seminary and was changing a load of laundry when my brother told me to come upstairs (where the TV was) and see what is going on. I came in time to watch the second plane crash. I didn't have school that day, even my dad stayed home from work. We were all glued to the TV (we watched everything on Fox news b/c my dad distrusts CNN).
My family (along with everyone else in the U.S) hung a flag outside our house
before this I had no idea who Osama bin Laden was or really what the twin towers were. It is funny how much that event has shaped so many people perspective of the world.
I had just started my freshman year at BYU. I was heading to class from Helaman Halls underneath that overpass and my roommate was heading back to the dorms and saw me and she told me. I remember quickly calling my mom to confirm. The rest of the day is a blur though I did attend a service at the Marriott Center in honor of all those who passed away. I don't think I will ever forget where I was that day.
Hey- just found your blog through Brock and Britney's! Not sure if you remember us from that ward. I know there is a big sense of patriotism this time of year with the remembrance of the terrorist attacks. I also wrote a brief blog on the 11th about my brother who was in the second tower found at:
http://diaperdave.blogspot.com/2008/09/911-another-tribute.html
What a cool post.
I was getting ready for school (my junior year of HS) when my grandpa turned on the TV. That's when he saw what happened. I rushed downstairs and couldn't believe what I saw. Then, as I was watching, the 2nd plane hit. We were dumbfounded and I had that pit settle into my stomach. I drove to school, listening to the radio with accusation after accusation of "who did it." Turns out they were pretty accurate.
Showed up at school. There was a hush over everyone it seemed. Anyone who didn't know what happened was quickly getting filled in on the terrible incident. We walked to class stone faced.
Sat in calculus. Stared at the TV with everyone else for at least 30 minutes. The teacher finally decided that it was time to turn off the TV. We talked about everything for a minute. Then he said it was time to try and start the lesson-- that we needed to keep on keepin' on. I don't remember how he said it, but it was really inspiring. His message was that we couldn't let these things deter us, consume us, or make us idle. I liked that.
The rest of the day was very much the same. Show up in class-- silent. Talk about what's going on, watch the news, then try to get some classwork in. Show up at lunch-- sit around in awe, clueless as to what's really going on and what we can do.
It was a day I'll never forget. It seemed so surreal. I am still in awe of the courage that was shown by those who tried to save the lives of others.
Post a Comment