Saturday, August 9, 2008

A Perfect Ending To A Perfect Day!!

Yesterday, I decided that we were going to finally go on a date!! So through out the day I came up with a few different date ideas, figuring that when Jon got home we would go do one of them. Well Jon got home and he just looked trashed, so in my head I scrapped date night. After we had dinner, Jon went out and set up the Badminton net and he took me out to knock the birdie around a few times. I am ashamed to admit that I am so out of shape that I was sweating so bad and I am so sore today, and I stink at badminton!! I had SO MUCH FUN, so that is all that matters right. Then Jon took me for a walk around the lakes by the house, and then it was time to head back to the house to put a little boy to bed.

As I am sitting down relaxing for a quick second, before the night time routine begins. Jon and Brett were gone for several minutes longer then it took to do a diaper change. When they finally decide to join me, I questioned them. Jon replied that they had been in the den checking e-mail, I responded with my normal question, "Anything interesting?" Jon's response was, "I got 10 e-mails (which by the way is unusual)." "And (He added) I got my GSRA (graduate student research assistantship)." I didn't know what to say, I asked him if he was joking. He offered to show me the email and I took him up on the offer. As I saw that email, I was on the verge of tears (I still am). You have to understand that we had NO HOPE of going to the U of M this coming year. No hope whatsoever, they told us to forget it and find a job. I was so weighted down with how everything was going to work out. We would have to start paying on student loans, find health insurance, a job, housing in a new area, etc. I told Mom on Wednesday that unless money literally fell from the sky that there was no way we would be able to go. We had just gotten news tuesday night that our only chance with a GSI fell through. I was so discouraged, but I had been praying that I would, be able to accept the Lord will.

I had, by Wednesday I knew that it was not meant to be, sad as I was I knew that we would be taken care of. One thing that really helped me and gave me comfort was something that was said in a book called "Fire of the Covenant" by Gerald Lund. It is about the Martin and Willie handcart companies, but it was something that Joseph Young (Son of Brigham) said to the pioneers. He said, "Brothers and Sisters, We have found you at last. God has heard and answered your prayers. And ours! Now, let us set out to work and do all we can to bring about your temporal salvation." When I read that the thought came to me, "I have heard your prayers, now let’s get to work." I can tell you that even though I read that on Sunday night and we still had no idea, what we were going to do. That was such a comfort to me, to know that I had been heard.

As I prayed last night, I couldn't thank my Father enough, for the great blessing he has given me. I prayed for more faith, because I need it! We were so excited that we went to Kroger and bought ice cream and some diet coke with mentos.

Tonight we are going to continue our celebration, with diet coke and mentos, some more badminton and a nice bon fire, and lots of prayers of thanks!!

Thank you to everyone who prayed for us, we couldn't have done it without you!! We LOVE You!!

5 comments:

Keriann said...

Yeah! Jon and I are so glad you will be able to come to U of Michigan! So much closer to us. Congrats!

Kathlen said...

Thanks, Keriann!!

Dani W said...

Oh that is awesome!!! Congrats! I am so happy for you guys! That is just wonderful news. I guess the Lord had other plans for you guys other than staying put and finding a job! lol. You never know with him huh?

Kathlen said...

It's true you never really know. I am just glad that if I had to let someone else direct my life that it is him. I don't know why the timing was what it was, but I bet we will see more blessings down the road from it!!

Nora said...

HOORAY! I love seeing when prayers pay off in such a literal way. We are so happy for you. Go Michigan!
Love you! xoxo